Nutrition at SCA

Good nutrition is one of the most important things you will learn here at Sunflower Children’s Academy. Optimal nutrition in early childhood not only supports growth and development to the child’s full potential, it can also initiate and enforce healthy eating habits that contribute to overall health and well-being, and that may extend into later childhood and beyond. 

Chrissy has spent the last year obtaining her certification in health and wellness as well as holistic nutrition and will be preparing organic and non-GMO meals and snacks for your child, as well as allowing the kids to engage in the preparation, choosing and serving of the food. Children love to help in the kitchen and here at Sunflower, it is encouraged. 

There will always be fresh water available throughout the day any time a child wants water. During mealtimes will serve water infused with different kinds of fruit as well as organic milk. 

We do look for products on the market that do not have any inflammatory oils such as vegetable oils, soybean, sunflower, or canola oil.  These kinds of oils wreak havoc on your gut health and we at SCA only cook with olive, coconut or avocado oil. We also use organic or grass fed butter as well. If your child has allergies or if they are having a really hard time with the food choices, we will be happy to work with you to add more variety to meet your child’s needs. I promise nobody will go hungry here at Sunflower.  If our children are eating nutritious dense foods 90% of the time… I think the other 10% can be used for family traditions, birthday parties and holidays etc. Together we can do our best to raise healthy children.  

I will put out a menu monthly and will always have an alternative if your child does not like the food for that day. We serve all our meals family style and the children will take part in serving and cleaning up.  There will be one day a week where there will be a grazing table where the kids will choose from a variety of foods for their plate.  Your child always has a voice and will not be forced to eat what is on the menu; although I do encourage them to at least try new foods. There is no outside food allowed into the school   as we are trying to eliminate processed and GMO foods that the parents are not aware of.  Although this could be very difficult at times, it is an essential rule for the program. I will allow special treats for parties and holidays but please be mindful of harmful ingredients such as conventional food dyes etc.  Feel free to send me any special recipe from home that will fit the sunflower nutritional guidelines. I would love to hear from you!

Sample foods served for the school year

Family style eating / grazing table

Fruit and vegetable smoothies

Homemade mac and cheese with red lentil or whole wheat organic pasta and organic dairy 

Homemade spaghetti sauce with grass fed beef or organic turkey meatballs 

Pizza with all the fixings made with fresh organic ingredients

Grilled cheese with a protein and vegetable Panini style

Sweet potato fries with dipping sauce

Fruit skewers with a homemade yogurt dip

Hummus and vegetables

Chocolate chip cookies made with almond flour and coconut sugar 

Avocado chocolate Pudding

 Granola bars made with organic oats 

Scrambled eggs and nitrate-free bacon

Muffins made with unrefined flours and sugars 

Oat and banana pancakes with fruit compote on side for dipping

Organic oatmeal with a topping tray